Dance Turkey Dance

Friday, October 31, 2008

My Dirty Little Secret

Listen. Do you want to know a secret? Do you promise not to tell?

I like hanging my laundry. I might complain about it, but the truth is, it's been fun. Today, I realized how absurd it looked to have Lula's comforter cover hung from a line strung between two trees in the play area. Then it suddenly struck me - this isn't absurd at all, it's fun. It was normal for my grandmother. I keep asking my mom, "How the heck did you guys get your sheets dry? Your towels??!!. Duh, Julie. Air. For thousands of years, air.

Plus, I like the way it smells. In my efforts to save money I've started shopping at Aldi. Well, Aldi only has ONE type of laundry soap, and I can tell you it's NOT the unscented, environmentally friendly Seventh Gen I used to get. It's the stinky, overperfumed stuff I used to look down my planet friendly nose at. And, much to my shame, I like the way it smells as it billows in the breeze. Sue me.

And, really, if I was doing my laundry like the modern day automaton I've become, in a tiny windowless room, would I be hanging sheets on the monkey bars of my kids' swing set? And, then shamelessly sliding down the slide to get back to earth? Man, mornings just don't get any better than that.

Almost as good as coffee with no one touching me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home